Sri Lankan Curried Potatoes
These Sri Lankan curried potatoes were neither hard to eat nor hard to make! This dish features some classic Sri Lankan flavors such as curry leaves, pandan leaves, black pepper and dried tuna.
They were made to be quite spicy, and we LOVED them that way, but they can be as spicy or mild as you like! Just adjust the chili accordingly. If potatoes are not your thing, feel free to substitute them with any other vegetable, as the base for this dish will nicely compliment any veg! And, if you like this veg curry, you ought to try our Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry recipe too!
What You’re Going For
This dish is a savory and slightly spicy curried potatoes. The potatoes, ideally, should be golden brown and crispy and the various other stir fried veg should nicely coat the potatoes, but there should not be any extra liquid at the bottom of this pan. This is a dry curry.
- New Potatoes, cubed (2 lbs. [1kg])
- Tumeric Powder (enough to dust the cubed potatoes)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (enough to dust the cubed potatoes)
- Salt (enough to dust the cubed potatoes)
- Coconut oil (~1/4 cup [60ml])
- Mustard Seeds (2-3 tbsp.)
- Dried Red Chili Pieces, chopped (2-3 tbsp.)
- Dried Tuna, minced (1 tbsp.)
- Red Onions, sliced (2 large)
- Green Finger Chilis, minced (2 tbsp.)
- Curry Leaves, whole (compressed ball the size of a walnut)
- Pandan Leaves, 2 inch pieces (5 pieces)
For the Potatoes
- Boil the whole new potatoes until they are 50% done, as you don't want them to fall apart when, in the next steps, you fry them. (Test them with a fork, and if they are still somewhat firm, take the out.)
- Let the potatoes cool until you are able to handle them and then cube them.
- In a large flat frying pan, add enough coconut oil so that you will be able to fry the cubed potatoes. Fry them until they are golden brown. (Make sure to fry them in small enough batches so that the oil stays hot enough to turn the golden brown. 3-4 batches will work just fine.) Remove the finished potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- Dust the fried potatoes with turmeric, black pepper and salt. Gently toss them. (A medium to light color yellow means you've used enough turmeric.) Here is roughly how yellow they should look.
- In the same large flat frying pan, add 3-4 tbsp. of coconut oil
- Once the oil is slightly smoking add the mustard seeds and stir fry them until they sputter and pop (~1 minute)
- Add the dried red chilis, dried tuna, green finger chilis, curry leaves, pandan leaves and red onions and stir fry these until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the fried potatoes.
- Gently stir fry everything for 1-2 minutes more.