Contrary to what the title of this post says, you’ll need a little more than some lime juice and time to make this super simple ceviche, but honestly, you won’t need much more than that! So, rest assured, in only a matter of minutes you’ll be able to enjoy this refreshing, tangy and creamy (thanks to the avocado slices) treat of treats!
What is Ceviche?
Briefly, ceviche is a Latin American dish consisting of marinated raw seafood. Now, I’ll stress the fact that the seafood, even after the entire recipe is done, is indeed raw. Thus, you’ll want to get some super fresh seafood for this (or some that has been frozen for 7+ days). However, just as it’s possible to buy seafood suitable for homemade sushi making, so too can you buy seafood suitable for this delicious raw dish!
Super Simple Ceviche in Brief
To make this you’ll basically dice onions and tomatoes and chop up some cilantro. You’ll then throw all of that in a bowl. Next, you’ll juice enough limes so that you’ll be able to liberally coat all of your seafood. All of that lime juice is going to go into the bowl with the onion, tomato and cilantro. Then, to that same bowl, add a bit of salt, then add your seafood, let it all marinate. Depending on how marinated you want your super simple ceviche, you’ll leave for anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours. At the 30 minute end, the seafood will be quite similar to sashimi. At the 8 hour end, the seafood will be quite firm, and almost to a cooked/overcooked texture. No matter what you do, as long as you’ve gotten ahold of some super fresh seafood, you’ll not miss with this super simple ceviche recipe!
Where to Enjoy Ceviche???
If you’re looking to soak up some rays on a beach while you’re enjoying this REFRESHING treat, you ought to consider Yung Shue Ha on Lamma Island or even one of Hong Kong’s most deserted beaches, Tai Long Wan on Lamma Island. What ever you decide, give this recipe a try, and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below or by reaching out to us here.
- Fresh lime juice (6-8 limes, enough to liberally coat all of your seafood)
- White onion (1 med., diced quite small)
- Tomato (any variety, diced)
- Cilantro (1 bunch, chopped)
- Raw seafood of your choice (1-1.5 lbs. - I like scallops, shrimp and any white fish, 1 inch x 1 inch chunks)
- Avocado (sliced)
Instructions(Last Updated On: May 7, 2018)
1. Into a glass/plastic (but not metal) bowl put:
diced onions, diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt to taste, pepper to taste
2. With a plastic/wooden spoons, mix all of those ingredients around.
3. To the same bowl, add your seafood. Gently mix everything around. Make sure to coat all of your seafood in the lime juice.
4. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 8 hours. (At the 30 minute end, the seafood will be quite similar to sashimi. At the 8 hour end, the seafood will be quite firm, and almost to a cooked/overcooked texture. )
5. Serve in martini glasses or small bowls.
6. Garnish with slices of avocado.